After a large surge in COVID-19 cases around and immediately following the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays, cases in Washtenaw County have dropped dramatically. Nonetheless, the risks to those 60 and over who are not vaccinated and may be exposed to those with COVID-19 are great. For example, as of March 4, 2022, those 60 and up, while comprising just 13% of the cases, account for 60% of the hospitalizations and 86% of the deaths. (See the Washtenaw County Health Department (WCHD) website for more information.)
In light of this and in keeping with current WCHD and Diocese of Lansing recommendations, as an act of love for your brothers and sisters in the parish, especially our seniors, please do not attend events at Christ the King (Mass, Adoration, prayer meetings, etc.) or come to the parish office if any of the following apply:
- In the previous 24 hours, you have experienced any of the following symptoms that are new or unusual for you (that is, not related to a known or chronic condition or to having received the vaccine): fever (100.4 degrees F or higher), chills, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, or diarrhea.
- You have tested positive for COVID-19. You can resume normal activities when 10 days have passed since your symptoms started (or since your test date if no symptoms), you don’t have a fever for 24 hours, AND your symptoms have improved.
- You are awaiting test results for COVID-19.
- In the previous 14 days, you have been in close contact with anyone who has tested positive for COVID-19, who is suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19, or who is awaiting test results. (Exceptions include asymptomatic health care workers, first responders, child care workers, workers at correctional facilities and those who have been fully vaccinated in the last 3 months.) “Close contact” means you were closer than 6 feet for more than 15 minutes; it does not matter if either or both of you were wearing face coverings. If the COVID-19 positive person had symptoms, the contact time would start 48 hours before they developed symptoms. If the person did not have symptoms, the contact time would start 48 hours before the date of the positive COVID-19 test.
- In the previous 14 days, you have traveled internationally.
Please continue to pray for the protection of all our parishioners, family members, and friends, especially the most vulnerable among us. May the Lord, in His mercy, bring an end to this pandemic soon.